Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What Strange Things You Learn as a Parent

OK, during the last week we have learned some very interesting things. Riley has discovered the joys of coloring outside the line... meaning, he has discovered that crayons, markers, and pencils work on things other than paper. UGH! He has written in pencil all over the wall, colored the front door yellow, and made an interesting design using ink pen on the couch. Well, as you can imagine, we have done a little research on how to remove such artistic endeavors from our home. I am happy to report that we have successfully removed all of the marks! Here's how we did it:
  • For the pencil on the wall: Warm soapy water seemed to do the trick. We had Riley scrub it off. I think we are lucky that he used pencil and not pen on the walls.
  • For the sunshiny door: a hot blow dryer and warm soapy water. This was amazing. You use the blow dryer to heat up the wax, then scrub it off with a damp sponge. I was thrilled. We again made Riley scrub!
  • Finally, the pen on our microfiber couch: Hand sanitizer and a clean white shop towel. You put the Hand Sanitizer on the towel and scrub. I was shocked to see the pen marks come off. It takes a little elbow grease, but it does come off! The couch was saved!!!
I love the Internet!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome to know when Ethan does this:) Thanks for posting that!

Christene said...

Exciting developments, right? I love when kids get creative, but it stinks when it's on your couch! The internet is such a great resource for stuff like this. How lucky are we to have this magic at our fingertips! I'll keep those tips in mind!