Friday, October 3, 2008

Dino Days

This week we studied about Dinosaurs. We had a blast! We enjoyed the visit to the museum, and then we grew a dinosaur, read books about dinos, made a dino fossil, and ended the week with a dino party! We invited Weldon and his mommy Mary Lynn and Hannah and her mommy Rachel. It was fun. Riley and I spent the morning getting things ready. We drew dinosaur footprints on the sidewalk leading up to the front door, and we taped down our big paper footprint to the front room floor. When everyone arrived we sang songs and read some books about, you guessed it DINOSAURS! One of the books was called Digging for Dinosaurs. It talked about how the fossils are found and what happens to them. I then lead the kids outside to the sandbox to hunt for dinosaurs. I gave each of them a paint brush and they had to brush away the sand to locate the buried dinos. They liked it so much, we had to rebury the dinos and do it again... and again :)Then we went inside to try to break open the fossil Riley and I had made on Monday... I couldn't get it to break open, but everyone got a chance to use the hammer. They were so intense trying not to hit my fingers... I appreciated that. The next activity was to put pills into the water. When these pills get wet, foam dinos appear. It's pretty cool. I've done this with barn animals, ocean animals, and horses. That's when the kids got their first look at our ever growing dinosaur! I got it at the museum last week. It was about the size of my cell phone... but boy did it grow! I was impressed, it ended up being about the size of a small cat. Then, while I was getting lunch, I set the kids up with an art project. They got to color dinosaur pieces and make a toilet paper roll tub dinosaur. It was cute. Now, for lunch the kids had dinosaur chicken nuggets, grapes, raisins, and celery with peanut butter. I have to admit, I was pretty pleased with how it turned out! After lunch, we hatched a dino egg. I bought it at Walmart, and it turned out so cool! You put the egg in water and it starts to fuzz, like bath balls. When the egg is completely dissolved, you have dino parts to put together. Each kid had a couple of parts, and helped make a dino. We then did the volcano that Riley and I had built. This was our dinosaur habitat. Riley loves this word: HABITAT. He has been asking everyone where there habitat is. The kids LOVED seeing the volcano blow! We had to blow up the volcano about 2-3 times! We finished the party with a final book called: Gorgonzola: a Very Stinkysaurus! It is a super funny book about a dino who doesn't know that he stinks! A little birdie helps him learn about good hygiene. All in all, I hope everyone had fun! I know Riley, Emmaline, and I did.
ROAR!

No comments: