skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Yesterday I took Riley and Emmaline to Mt. Charleston for a hike. I dragged my sister and her husband Benson with me. It was a little stormy, but I figured we were going in the morning, so it should be OK. I put Emma in the backpack and away we went. Emma was asleep pretty quick. It was really cute. Riley was so excited about his new boots. When I went to put shoes on him yesterday, I realized that his feet have grown... allot in the last couple of months. Not one of his shoes fit... So, I ran over to Famous Foot Wear and found the cutest pair of Buster Brown boots! Bonus, they were on clearance... just $15!!! I put them on his feet and he started leaping around the store... I figured that was a sign of them being very comfortable!
We had a lot of fun, and we stopped for lunch. Demya's dog Katie thought that Riley's food would make a great treat. She tried to snatch, but was called off by an indigent Riley: "You stop that Katie"
We didn't take the full hike, everyone was getting a little tired. Plus, the sky was starting to look scary. Katie was getting that worried dog look... we should have listened a little earlier...
On the way down I felt something hit my ear. At first I thought it was a bug... then I felt more... it wasn't a bug... it was RAIN. We started really hustling down the hill... we wanted to cross the dry creek bed before it became a wet creek bed. The raindrops were so big, you could see them clearly. Holy cow! It was coming down fast!
We were really getting drenched! Fortunately, I had brought two ponchos with me: one Riley's size, and one my size. We quickly covered Emma and me with the poncho. Then got Riley's on him:
The rain was so cool, but the thunder and lightning were a little too close for me. I was wearing Emma in the backpack, a metal backpack... Ugh! Can we say lighting rod?
It was so fun, such an adventure! It was the first time either kid had gotten stuck in a rainstorm before :) Riley didn't like the big booms at all... they really made Emma jump too... and truth be told, when you see the lighting and a second later you hear thunder it makes me jump out of my skin too. Both the kids feel asleep on the way home which I believe is the sign of a good outing.
1 comment:
Wow! What a crazy hike! Love the rain, but not when you could end up a lightning rod, as you said. I'm glad everyone got down okay and that the time on the mountain was fun for your family. :-)
Post a Comment