OK, I know I said I’d do this the next day… but sleep was way more important… and I wasn’t getting any. But that’s another story. For now I’d like to tell about the harrowing trip Mom and I had getting to my grandparents place.
We left Hotchkiss and drove up Black Canyon. It’s beautiful.
It’s also twisty and scary. The drop off is crazy deep… I was very glad my mom was driving!
Anyway, trouble started when we stopped for lunch. Beka was ok, but not really happy when I put her back in her car seat. Riley was happy for a bathroom (even if it had black toilets) and snarfed down his lunch. Emma… well she refused to use the black toilet (she said it was scary) and didn’t touch her lunch… I ended up eating her corndog, which turned out to be a bad choice. Anyway, I’d lost Beka’s sippy cup, again. So we stopped at the grocery store and I ran in to find a new one. Emma was starting to be difficult when I ran in, but I had no idea the storm that was about to explode while I was shopping.
It turned into a full blown temper tantrum. Kicking, screaming, frothing at the month temper tantrum. It woke Beka up, Riley tried to hide under the sun visor, and poor Series (mom’s dog) hide his head in Mom’s lap. When I returned, I dumped Emma out of the car and sat her down at a table. It took almost 20 minutes and lots of discipline to get her calmed down.
At last we were on the road again… Sadly, Beka had decided enough was enough and began to cry/scream. She did this for the next 5 hours… ugh! Again the road was twisty and rough, and again I was glad that Mom was at the helm. My head was pounding by this point.
We finally stopped in Canyon City, which is about 40 minutes from the ranch. We let the kids play at the park and bought some dinner at KFC. Emma finally ate! She was much better after that (she had been kind of whinny, but no signs of another storm)
Back on the road, Beka was once again screaming. I don’t think I’ve ever been so glad to get anywhere than I was to the ranch. It was a long night, no one really wanted to sleep. But some how we did. We’ve had some cool adventures out here so far, which I’ll try to write about before I forget. Beka’s still HATES the car seat, and Emma has had one other meltdown. But that’s for another time.









No comments:
Post a Comment