Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Crazy Colorado Trip: Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

We spent one morning up at the zoo. My grandma has be an docent there for 20 years!  It’s really fun to go with her, she knows so much about the animals. Cheyenne Zoo is really cool. It’s the only mountain zoo in the US, and thus has plenty of hills to climb!

The first thing you see is a couple of full size giraffe statues:

IMG_4950 IMG_4954

This is really cool as they have the exhibit puts you at the giraffes head. At that height you don’t really see how tall these guys are. The zoo also has a very effective giraffe breeding program. They are at the right elevation for the giraffes to feel right at home. The kids had a blast feeding the giraffes.

IMG_4958 IMG_4960

I wish I had taken a video of this! Emma’s screams of delight were something else.

IMG_4973

I have to include this picture. It’s one of the only ones of little Beka. She spent most of the day on my back in the carrier. But isn’t her new hat cute?

IMG_4977 IMG_4982

I wish I were home to show you a the picture I took of Riley on this lion 3 years ago. I believe he’s wearing about the same colors.

 IMG_5000

This was us in the monkey house.

IMG_5008 IMG_5011

This is a docent showing Riley some kind of lizard. I can’t remember what it was. Riley and I also went into the what they call the loft. It has interactive stuff and lots of little animals in aquariums. Riley really liked the turtles.

IMG_5016

I really liked this porcupine picture. He was so cute just laying there!

IMG_5020

The kids were inside a little cave watching the crazy river otters having a little play battle. It was so cute. A little boy inside the cave started crying. He was sitting in the corner pouting. Riley tried to make him feel better. It was really cute. I called him over and told it was ok, that the little boy was fine. That he was just having a hard time. Riley started crying and said that he was sad that he couldn’t make the other boy feel better. How sweet is that! My little tender heart!

IMG_5024 IMG_5027

These fish are an unintended exhibit. They were placed in the water for the grizzly bears to fish… They caught the fish, looked at it and put it back. So the fish are happily swimming around and are the most exiting part of the exhibit. We did see the grizzly, well his paw. I just have to say, I NEVER want to run into one of those in the wild! They are so big!

IMG_5028 IMG_5035

I think we were looking at a snow leopard. I’m not really sure. I guess that’s what happens when you wait too long to blog. The kids had fun paling around with Grandma.

IMG_5036 IMG_5038

I think this bear is a speckled bear or an Asiatic black bear.  Kinda cute huh. The last time I was at the zoo this crazy bear was climbing to the top of his tree and back down. On this day he was having fun taking baths.

We took the kids to one of the little playgrounds. Beka was just happy to stretch out her legs.

IMG_5040 IMG_5042 

The playground had a metal slide! Riley said it was REALLY FAST!  Funny huh? I had to include the only picture of my grandma I took that day… silly me! Thanks Grandma for the fun day!

1 comment:

Erin said...

A zoo, so fun! I can't wait to show you the stuff I've learned. Jeanna will be having the classes again later down the road, yes! Knowing me, I'll go with you and take them again, because I want to hear something that I didn't get the first time:)