Monday, September 1, 2008

All About Me

For the month of September, I've decided to do a unit called: All About Me. The first unit was called: My Body. We did our lesson today, and I must say, it went way better than I'd hoped. I have been trying to figure out how to do the opening activity, morning circle, with just one kid in the class... Last night I finally decided to do the morning circle activities during breakfast. This worked GREAT! I had found a book at the library called: My Body, Your Body. It was perfect for introducing the theme. It compared our body parts to the ones that animals have. Riley really got into it. For example, when the book talked about our tongues, I told Riley to pull out his tongue too... HE DID IT! Holy cow! That's the moment that I finally felt that maybe, just maybe I can do this homeschooling preschool thing. I also decided that our word for the week is going to be BODY. I printed up the word using really cute graphics, and I had Riley tell what each of the letters were. Then I told that they spelled Body! He was funny, he kept spelling TRAIN! That was last week's word! He said he knew the word was different, he just liked TRAIN better. After we read the book, I told him we had to clean up breakfast so that we could do an activity. He loved the idea of having a special thing to do. He kept asking all day for another activity. We got the table cleared and I brought out "Johny" a paper doll that I had made last night. I laminated it so that it would last longer that just one lesson and put Velcro on the different body parts to hold on the clothes. I figured that this would make it easier for Riley to put the clothes on. He had a blast. This picture is a little fuzzy, but you can so tell how proud he was of getting Johny dressed! First we put clothes on that were for it being hot and to go swimming, then we put on clothes to go out in the snow. After "Johnny", I tried to do some dance time with the hokey pokey. Riley HATED the version of the song I had downloaded last night. He wouldn't dance with me at all. But Emmaline LOVED it! I later downloaded a different version, and then, he was happy. After dancing, I had him do a coloring page of the letter B. We talked about all the different things that start with the letter B that were on the page. He was so proud of his artwork that he insisted that we put it up on the fridge. By this time it was about 10:30ish so I packed everyone up, and we went to the park. It was such a nice day I couldn't waste it all inside! I brought Riley's bike with us. I was planning to go to the new addition to the park by our house... Would you believe that they had the parking lot closed? On Labor Day?! What were they thinking! UGH. It worked out OK, I just parked at the other end and we walked down. Riley rode his bike. It's great to see him finally using his pedals. After we got to the playground I kept hearing someone calling "Riley" I found the mom, and it turned out the boy she was calling was the boy my Riley was playing with! How funny is that! This Riley was about 6, and my Riley thought he was great! Little Riley followed big Riley all over the playground!
(This is Big Riley and Little Riley)
After lunch, and Emmaline went down for a nap, Riley and I did our last activity for the day. I got out a big sheet of paper and we drew his outline. Then I let him use markers to decorate it. He was SO excited! Riley held perfectly still. I know, it hard to believe but he did. He made eyes, pants, socks, and a railroad hat. We hung the picture up on his door. Riley was so proud of it, the moment Allen got home he was rushed off to see Riley's work! I can't believe that it's working! Riley's loving it, and getting worn out in the process. He was asleep by 7:45 tonight! This is the kid who we usually pray is asleep by 9! This is a lot of work, but makes the day so much more fun, and so I believe that it's worth it!

No comments: