Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Emmaline's 1st Journey

Well, it was one year ago today that Emmaline made her early arrival. I have to admit that was one of the worst day of my life. It was a Sunday. Allen had gotten up early to study (oh, the evils of 1L year) and I was laying in bed enjoying being still. After Riley got up, Allen made breakfast. I kept feeling like I had to go to the bathroom, a lot! As I was getting ready for church (and wear a dress I'd been saving for my last month... UGH!) I had another bad pain. Allen decided that we needed to go to the hospital. I promised Allen after Riley was born that with the next baby I would go when he said to go. We called my parents and they came to get Riley. I was so scared. We weren't sure what was going to happen, if Emmaline was going to be OK. If I had know that I wouldn't get to hold my little girl again for seven days, I would have held on longer! It was a very weird moment for me. I wasn't ready for her to be born yet, and yet, here she was! She was so tiny! She looked just like a little doll. I couldn't believe how small her hands and feet were. I wasn't sure how to feel: should I be glad that she was here or sad that she was so sick? As they whisked her off to the NICU, I wondered when we would get to take her home. It was so hard when they weren't sure what was wrong. Why she has having so much trouble breathing, why she wasn't getting better. The days between when she was born and when they figured out what was wrong seemed endless. There is no way to describe the roller coaster of emotions we were on! It was such a relief when they finally figured out what was going on: Patent Ductus Arteriosus or PDA. This condition is when the connecting blood vessel between the pulmonary artery and the aorta in fetal circulation stays open in a newborn baby. Basically, before the baby is born, she doesn't need to use her lungs, so there's a small blood vessel that bypasses them. That blood vessel is supposed to close with the first breath, but in Emma's case, it stayed open, so her lungs weren't getting the blood they needed, and she was having trouble breathing. Once they realized that, they gave her some medicine and she started to improve.
It was so incredible to be able to finally bring her home... 10 days later! Riley was so excited to finally get to meet his little sister! He couldn't stop staring at her. That was the day our real journey began. We were so grateful that she was able to be home for Halloween:
We just couldn't believe how small she was! This is November, Emma is almost the same size as Daddy's feet! This is one of 2 Christmas outfits she had. Silly girl, slept all the way through Christmas. We have no pictures of her on Christmas day!January and first taste of baby food... she wasn't impressed. I supposed I would be a little disgruntled too if what I'd eaten before was ice cream... Little stinker, she was sitting on my lap while I was eating a small bowl of ice cream, and she grabbed the spoon. She had it to her mouth before I could blink! Poor Emmaline! In February, her baby hair fell out... she had a few months of having a comb over hairdo!March was fun, learning what kind of foods Emmaline liked and didn't like. The only thing that marred the month was totaling our "pretty red van" as Riley says.By April, Emma was trying to feed herself and amazing us with what she could eat! Chicken nuggets, nectarines, strawberries! In May, Emma's hair was finally starting to grow back in. She enjoyed going on outings with Riley. We bought a new stroller, one that could hold two... June brought traveling to Utah to visit Aunt Mya and Uncle Benson. Emma got to meet Great Grandma and Grandpa McBride at a family reunion. July was full of family fun. We got to see fireworks and lots of cousins too. August was super busy. We went on to a family reunion, lots of field trips, and had Riley's 3rd birthday. Emma was becoming quite the little lady September, we've come back around! Our little girl is not a little baby any more. She is quite the character. She loves to explore her world and get into EVERYTHING! She is close to walking, crawling around like a little bear. She's really turned into a Daddy's girl. Life is just so much better when Daddy's around! Emmaline lights up when Allen walks through the door. Then gets very put out if Daddy doesn't pick her up and give her loves! The last year has been so crazy! It's been so fun to watch Emmaline grow. To watch as Riley and Emma enjoy each other's company. Emmaline will go looking for Riley now, calling his name: "WIWEY,WIEE!"

1 comment:

Christene said...

What a journey! I'm glad you got through those hard first days. I know how sad it is to come home without your baby! Thank goodness those times are behind you and you have a full year of happiness to remember!
P.S. I love that your Elinor Dashwood. She's awesome!