Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fast, Easy Recipes

A couple of weeks ago, my sweet friend Erin asked me to post some of my favorite easy recipes.  You know those recipes that you pull out when it’s way too late to be starting dinner and you REALLY don’t want to have take out (again this week, for like the 3rd time). Or when it’s lunch time and everyone is starving and you just can’t stomach another peanut butter and jelly sandwich. So, when I made the following two things this week, I grabbed my camera and snapped a few pictures and thought, why not share these.

So without further adieu, here goes nothing.

The first recipe I wanted to share was something I LOVED as a kid: English muffin pizza. It’s quick and simple. And kids love it! Emma and Beka helped me make these for lunch.  They loved the idea of making their own pizza.

IMG_4991_IJFR

English Muffin Pizza

4 English muffins (each muffin makes 2 pizzas, so you can adjust as you need to)                                                                1/2 cup spaghetti  sauce (personally I just use Rego or whatever I have leftover, you don’t need much)                    1 cup mozzarella cheese                                                                                                                                                                             toppings (my kids just like cheese, but I added a little pepperoni)

preheat oven to 425 F

Slice the English muffins in half. Spoon about a tablespoon of sauce on each one. Sprinkle with cheese and add toppings. Take a cooling rack and place it on a cookie sheet (this will make the muffins crispy and so good) Place the mini pizzas on top of the cooling rack and place in preheated oven. Cook for 5-7 until the cheese is melted and lightly browned on top. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

 

The second recipe is something I do just about once a week. My family loves it. What is this reoccurring item on our menu? Fruit salad with homemade whipping cream. This is so simple, and helps use up any random fruit I have hanging around! I love whipping cream, it’s so handy. I know it’s not the healthiest thing in the world, please don’t judge me to harshly! I try to use as much fresh fruits as I can. The canned fruit that I use has light syrup. Hope you enjoy!

fruit salad (1 of 1) web

Fruit Salad with Homemade Whipped Cream

 

1/2 to 1 cup of heavy whipping cream                                                                                                                                                         1 to 3 T of powder sugar

1 large can of fruit cocktail                                                                                                                                                                                1 can of madarian oranges                                                                                                                                                                                2 bannanas sliced                                                                                                                                                                                                    1/2 apple sliced                                                                                                                                                                                                  

other fresh fruits sliced                

Pour cream into mixer bowl. Add powder sugar. Using the  whisk attachment, whisk at high speed until soft peaks form (about 2-5 minutes).

For the salad drain fruit cocktail and rinse with water. Pour contains into a large bowl. Add rest of fruit to bowl and mix gently. Fold in whipped cream and serve.

I’ve also added grapes, peaches, pears and cucumbers.

 

So there you have it. Some of my simple recipes from my crazy life. Let me know if you try it and how they turn out!

3 comments:

Erin said...

A big, huge THANK YOU!!! :D

Jessica said...

No prob! I hope you enjoy them :)

Kerri said...

LOVE it - going to have to try those English muffin pizzas - such a good idea to use the cooling rack!!! You're a genius!