The last couple of weeks have been pretty big for Riley. Last Saturday, we went and registered him for kindergarten at the Northweest Career & Technical Academy. No, you read that right. NWCTA, like the other Vo-techs has different programs that the high schoolers can specialize in. NWCTA happens to have a child development program, and this year, their program happens to be opening an all-day kindergarten. We got the heads-up from Jess's Mom, who works there, so we were able to get him in. He got the very last opening!
When we went to register, we got to see the kindergarten wing of the school. It's really well set up, they have two kindergarten rooms, mini-bathrooms for mini-bottoms, the walls are all decorated with characters like the Very Hungry Caterpillar, Berenstain Bears, and Pooh. They even have a playground that is walled away from the rest of the school, and hidden from view from anyone who might be passing by. They're planning to build a greenhouse next to the playground for lessons on growing things. (Although it might be better for them to have an air-conditioned darkroom, the Vegas sun being what it is.) Riley is super excited to go to school!
On a more somber note, my Aunt Pat's funeral was last week too. You know how sometimes parents think things won't affect their kids that much? For Jessie, that was bring taken to see Jaws when she was 1. She was terrified of sharks for years afterward (and still is). Riley seems to really have been affected by the whole dying thing. He was really, really good during the funeral. I mean, incredibly good for Riley. I don't think he's ever sat that quietly in a chapel before. We got there, and picked a seat in front of Grandma Leavitt (my Grandma). He happily scooted back there and sat between Grandma Leavitt and Aunt Betty. Emma quickly followed. They just sat quietly, looking through books I passed them, and were just wonderfully well-behaved. I'm wondering if I should try and convince Grandma Leavitt to change wards?
Anyway, every day since the funeral, he's asked "Mommy, are you going to die?" "Why did Jesus have to die?" "I miss my Aunt Pat." (Note: to the best of our recollection, he never met Aunt Pat. So when he then says "I wish I got the chance to know her" a big ol' guilt trip starts setting in...) The thing is, we didn't go the viewing. So he didn't get face-to-face with it, but he's turning the concept of death over in his mind. Cue lesson on the Resurrection. Cut to next day. "Mommy are you going to die?" Rinse, lather, repeat. Even though Jessie has repeatedly answered his questions, she asked me to answer them too. That way, he gets it from both parents, so hopefully it sticks. So tonight, right before we said prayers, I sat Riley down and tried to explain about how Heavenly Father is the father of our spirits, and our spirits will come back to our bodies, and we won't die any more after that.
"Aunt Pat won't die either?" "Yes, Riley, Aunt Pat won't die after that either." "Jesus came back to life." "That's right, He came back and lived again so all of us can live again and we won't ever die again after we come back."
I'm still not sure he entirely got the whole idea, but I hope he's starting to understand about the great plan our Heavenly Father has for us.
It brings to mind a conversation I had with him a little while ago, when I took him to go pick up pizza. I went to buckle him in, and he said, "I'll do it. I'm growing up. I'm a big boy." I asked him, "Riley, can I pretend that you're just a little boy for a little longer?" "Oh, all right."
My little boy is growing up.









1 comment:
What a great post. I loved reading stories like these. It helps prepare me for when my kids get older and start asking the hard questions. I think it is awesome when husbands hi-jack the blogs...although I don't think Shad would even know how to get to ours. LOL!
XOXO Melanie
Post a Comment