Friday I was over at my parents' home moving some pictures to a jump drive. Ephram was being really clingy and cross. He cried every time I put him down and cried when I held him. He felt really hot. When I got him home, I took his temperature and he was about 102. I gave him some Motrin and put him down for a nap. By evening his temperature was hovering around 103 and I was getting a nevous. I gave him some more Motrin, but it didn't seem to be having much effect. I gave him some more around 9:30.
We checked on him a couple of time before we went to bed, he was restless but sleeping.
At 1 AM I heard him cry out so I went in to check on him. He was stretched out and shaking. I grabbed him up and he was jerking in my arms. I screamed for Allen to come and help me. His eyes were rolled back in his head and he was turning blue. He wouldn't respond when I called his name. It seemed to last forever. We laid him down on the floor of our room and he finally stopped shaking. But he still wasn't responding and his breathing was shallow. I remember thinking that he was just like a little rag doll. I was so scared. He was so hot and of course we couldn't find thermometer. Allen said he was going to take Ephram into the ER. I totally agreed and asked Allen to give him a blessing first.
They checked into the ER at 1:30. Ephram's temperature was 104.2 so they took him right back. They said that he was dehydrated and they wanted to put an iv in. This was a no go, they tried both arms and couldn't They finally got it in on his foot. They also gave him a chest x-ray and a combination of Motrin and Tylenol to bring the fever down. They determined that the he had had what is called a febrile seizure. A febrile seizure is caused by a high fever in young children. The good news is that they generally grow out of it. We just have to watch him very carefully every time he gets sick.
The boys finally got home around 5:30 in the morning. See how the blessed we were that we didn't have a field trip to be in charge of? The Spirit truly inspired that decision. We were able to stay home and rest.
A couple of days later, someone was feeling much better.
It really was one scary morning! I was so scared!!!!! I would definitely put it up on my list of scariest parent moments. It's right up there with Emma in the NICU and Riley getting his finger caught in a wood door and needing stitches. My younger bother suffered from this problem when he was little and it sure was terrifying. I am happy to say that he has grown out of it, and I know the Ephram will too.












1 comment:
That is so scary! Aren't we so blessed to have the Priesthood in our lives. I am glad everything turned out fine and your little boy is better!
Post a Comment